With Jurassic World 3: A New Era the dinosaur screen epic came to an end this year. The film was undoubtedly a huge success at the box office: with a markup of 950 million dollars the end of the sequel trilogy is the second highest-grossing film of the year.
Only “Top Gun: Maverick” steals first place on the podium from the giant prehistoric lizards. Now, the release of “Jurassic World 3” for our home theaters is approaching as an extended cut with many more minutes of never-before-seen footage.
Jurassic World 3 is getting an Extended Cut version
The release of an Extended Cut probably won’t surprise some fans. Moviegoers have complained that in the finished film an extraordinary number of scenes were previously missing im Trailers were worth seeing. It was speculated that director Colin Trevorrow was to heavily cut the Dino film for theatrical and would later submit an extended version.
Those speculations have now proven to be correct, as on August 25, 2022 the extended cut of the film comes to us.
It will be like VOD to be available as well as Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray to be included. Only the abridged theatrical version appears on the DVD edition.
What’s in the extended version of Jurassic World 3?
You enter the extended cut 14 minutes more feature time . This means that the blockbuster will go from 146 minutes to 160 minutes. You can find the extended version on the Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray in the bonus material – so both media also contain the shorter theatrical version.
The extended cut begins with an alternate beginning and over the course of the film are several new sequences to be seen, according to Universal Pictures “more dinosaurs, action and iconic moments” to bring. In addition, there is the one released a few years ago short film “Battle at Big Rock” on Blu-ray versions.
However, this is not integrated into the film, but is found individually under the extras. Compared to the long version, the short film is also part of the extras of the DVD version.
Other additional features
Universal Pictures has also released a list of additional content that comes with the expanded version of Jurassic World 3. The list is as follows:
- extended version: An extended version of the film with 14 minutes of additional footage featuring more dinosaurs, action, iconic characters and an alternate beginning
- Battle at Big Rock: Directed by Colin Trevorrow, the short takes place in Big Rock National Park one year after the events of Jurassic World 2: Fallen Kingdom.
- A New Breed of VFX: VFX supervisor David Vickery and the magicians at ILM talk about the film’s incredible visual effects.
- Dinosaurs Among Us: Inside Jurassic World 3: A New Era
- Together for the First Time: The cast and filmmakers talk about the development of the franchise and the special bond between the characters of “Jurassic Park” and “Jurassic World.”
- Underground Dinosaur Market: Join the filmmakers for a tour of the incredible Dino Market and see how they brought it to life.
- Mayhem in Malta: A behind-the-scenes look at the rooftop atrociraptor chase and Owen’s high-speed motorbike ride through the narrow streets and alleyways of Malta.
- Scary Real
- Spit Take: Return of the Dilophosaurus – Live-action dinosaur supervisor John Nolan and his team reveal how they created the impressive animatronic Dilophosaurus.
- Inside the Dimetrodon: Find out how the film crew harnessed the terrifying Dimetrodon animatronics and hear from Laura Dern and Sam Neill what it was like working with them.
- Creating a Plague: Laura Dern and Bryce Dallas Howard discuss the giant locusts featured in Jurassic World 3, and the creature effects team reveals how they were created and used.
- Skip the Bat..n: Discover the craftsmanship behind the realistic looking Beta animatronics and hear from Chris Pratt and Isabella Sermon why they enjoyed working with it.
- Giga Bite: Go behind the scenes with the cast of JURASSIC WORLD DOMINION as they meet the movie’s biggest star, the Giganotosaurus, for the first time.
- Last Night: Relive the emotional last night of filming with the cast and crew of Jurassic World 3.